Monday, May 26, 2014

Busy as can Bee

 Settling into our warm weather routine is always interesting. Three years of living in the country has been eye-opening. The first time we heard coyotes congregating together was creepy. Our first year here, we encountered a plague of frogs and toads. You could not walk at night because you would most assuredly squish one. After that came the invasion of some tiny beetle-like bug that only came out at night. Last year was an ambush of horseflies. My husband never went outside without a tennis racket and I just avoided going outdoors as much as possible. This year is really exciting - snakes! 


Cottonmouth, Tennessee
Cottonmouth, Tennessee (Photo credit: TomSpinker)
 We rarely see snakes and usually only if we look down in the creek but now they are out flaunting their snake-iness and taunting us at every turn. I almost stepped on one because it was out in the middle of a widely used area looking much like a stick. And, it was no mere snake, it was a Cottonmouth. This became obvious when I was just a foot away. My dog ran in front of me, the snake raised its head and  then displayed its cottony white mouth. I do not know what I said but my husband and son ran over with large logs and threw them on top of the menacing critter. All my natural medicine studies on first aid are not something I really want to put into practice, especially on myself and doubly so, with a venomous snake bite. 


 With that crisis averted, I continued on to my original mission - checking on the bees. Yes, we finally have bees, Carniolans to be exact. They are really amazing. My husband and I put them into the hive and it was intimidating but they really are a gentle kind of bee. I love them. They waste no time. As soon as they were dumped into the hive, they set to work. The few bees that did not survive the journey and the dumping, were promptly drug out of the hive. Any strange insect or bee that tried to invade were met by the guard bees. In a few days we will check on them and make sure the queen is doing her job. 

 Such order and organization, reminds me how important our role is as wives and mothers in light of what God has called us to do. The topic is one that is absolutely rejected by the world. Women love to look at staying home as drudgery  and it is a sacrifice but not one without blessing and joy...if you know Christ. In a Christian home, if the husband is truly fulfilling his role by loving his wife as Christ loved the church then they really carry the heavier burden. It is not always easy to willingly submit ourselves to a husband's authority, there is no doubt about that. Of course I want my way but there is no room to be one if I want my way and he wants his way. When you both fall into your God-prescribed roles, you both put your ways aside and Christ fills you with His way. 

 If you are living with a spouse that does not follow the Lord, you still have a responsibility to lay aside your flesh. It can be challenging but, nonetheless, you are required to do what God calls you to do and He is faithful to give you the strength to carry out your responsibility. If you deny that or whine that you cannot do it, you reject the work of the Holy Spirit. Excuses do not exist that justify slacking in your role, nagging, or cutting off from your husband physically or emotionally. Press on, find joy, and trust God. 

 That was a little necessary ministering to myself. Now I must get back to my responsibilities so I can produce sweet honey in my home. Today's agenda: clean up my husband's office since we moved it to a new room.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are for people! Spammers and robots are not allowed because they do not have souls. If you have spam links in your comment, it will be deleted.