Monday, June 2, 2014

On Sundays, I Cry

crying emoticone
 Good thing it's Monday or my keyboard would short out. 

 Every Sunday for the past umpteen years, I cry but in recent years the tears have increased. The nature of the crying usually stems from an overwhelming sense of the deep gift of grace, not that I do not feel this on other days but something about gathering in the body with the intent of worshiping wells it up overflowing out my eyeballs. Lately though, I cry more (if that is possible). 


 Tears flow with joy and love for my God, my Lord, my Savior and tears flow for my failure to serve Him as I should without my flesh interfering. That is plenty of tears but add to that tears for those I love that do not follow God. Toss in tears for the apostasy that I see around me and heresy. Could there  be more?

 Well, after I fell into this Youtube debacle of atheists and presupposionalists "debating," there were more. After first I was thinking that apologetic debate is good but it did not take me long to realize that this is just men trying to prove their wisdom or score points or, in some cases, gain money. Maybe I am missing the parts where the Gospel is being presented or God is being honored but what I see is sad. 

 My question for both sides is, "What is the point?" Because it looks like pride.

 I do not see the fruit of arguing what the Bible says with someone who has no regard for it. Faith comes by hearing so deliver Truth but going back and forth on the issue of how old the earth is or what is reality is chasing the wind...or is it tossing pearls??? Clearly, if you could prove any of the answers to their arguments, they would just find another ground to stand on. If they say that they do not believe in sin or repentance then arguing with them is like two people on the Titanic refusing to leave the ship because they cannot agree on the color of the carpet. Pointless. 

 My case in point: one video consisted mostly of a discussion on who was using circular reasoning. Uh...both sides have lost all reasoning in any shape or form. Yes, the Bible says that everything in this world declares there is a God and there is no way to deny that but can you say you deny it with your mouth? Of course. The Bible says that, too. Say it all day long but no one escapes Truth no matter how much they say that they do not believe it. 

 Is there glory to God in spawning video spats and virtual showdowns? I think not. Look at God's Word and you will see that some arguments are places to keep your mouth shut. If they will not hear Truth, there is no point you can make or clever example that can bowl them over. Close your lips and open your faith. Pray and put it in the hands of the Holy Spirit...or do you not think He is convincing enough? 

 Obviously, the latter is the case for some. One street "preacher"got into an argument about people believing in unicorns and if that would make unicorns real. His big comeback was to change the example to Sasquatch and talk louder. He succeeded in drawing a crowd but the people around him did not hear Truth. What was his purpose? 

  Tears should well up that we have come to a place where we have forgotten our position and who it is we serve. Tears should pour because a dying world will miss hearing Truth all to be victorious in the art of persuasion. It is our mission to plant and water the seeds not force them into the ground, crack them open and try to extract life out of them. We cannot accomplish that.

 Let us all mourn that we have considered ourselves greater than the God we claim to serve. 

1 Corinthians 3:6-7
I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth.
So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth.

Romans 10:1 
Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved.

1 Co 2:2-5
 For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are for people! Spammers and robots are not allowed because they do not have souls. If you have spam links in your comment, it will be deleted.