Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Down With Moaning, Up With Mocha

Our Green Dragon

  Complaining is of no real use. Some of my recent posts complained of all the rain we have experienced and I had to repent of those words. Literally, I get to eat those words. The biggest zucchini has popped up in my garden and we have had blueberries galore all because of that rain. And, in the weird category, a gigantic green dragon has grown up from our creek. The tropical-ness of this oddity is a great source of intrigue and it took a bit of internet sleuthing to determine its identity. It is about 5 feet tall and has a green cornlike fruit on it. Little surprises like this keep us amazed with our land and remind me how great is my God, creator of all things. 


 Being ever mindful of the importance of finding joy in ALL things is not a simple accomplishment. As you can tell, I get stuck in a cycle of whining occasionally...okay, a lot. Then God reminds me of His honor and glory and great love and mercy. It stops me in my tracks and I see the blessing of the rain in my life. The fruit that is brought forth from it never ceases to amaze me and it is then that I find myself not only cutting out the complaining but being thankful for the very thing I had found distressing. 


 This lesson should be in the forefront of my mind but I just got back from a trip that my husband lovingly encouraged pushed me to take with my daughter and two of her friends to the Gulf Coast. Driving 6-1/2 hours with a carload of teenage girls was not on my to-do list for the summer. I was hesistant to say the least. After 2 nights of lying (there was no sleeping) on a couch, preparing food, and basically being a taxi driver, I was weary and grumpy and, well, not very full of grace. But, I laughed and talked with the girls and we had the beach pretty much to ourselves. It was beautiful. Give Bay St. Louis, Mississippi and Pass Christian a visit. They are quiet, quaint little towns with cute local shops and delicious food. It was delightful.
Beach in Pass Christian

 But, upon returning home, I was hit with a load of classwork because my school started its first session. Now my days are spent cramming in housework so that I can cram in chapters on botany, anatomy and physiology, and basics of essential oils. Knowing that age brings more of a desire to be responsible is coupled with the realization that my now old brain is not the sponge it once used to be. My mind is trying to figure out what to delete so it can store information on cells, plant growth, homeostasis and such. In the process, I am pretty sure I have forgotten my middle name, how to tie my shoes, and the routine for grooming my hair. (scratch that last one, I forgot that long ago)

 The benefit born out of being a "student" again is that I have to have that late night cup of coffee or tea to push through the study sessions. One day I was just craving a Cafe Mocha but I couldn't go to the coffee shop, besides all that sugar is terrible for me, so I did the next best thing - I improvised and came up with a healthier version that is so so so so delicious! Now you get to share in the little blessings of a good Cafe Mocha. 

 Okay, I admit it. My purpose for blogging the recipe is actually because I am afraid that this knowledge will be replaced with information about ventral cavities but just go with it. Own it. Enjoy it. Thank me later. 


 Better than Starbucks Cafe Mocha (Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Soy-free)
1 Tbsp. Palm Sugar
2 tsp. raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
1/4 c. boiling water
2 Tbsp. coffee (I used a coffee, dandelion root, chicory root mix)
2/3 c. hot water
2/3 c. almond coconut milk, heated to almost boiling

 In a french press, put coffee and 2/3 c. hot water and let steep for 5-10 min. OR brew coffee in coffee maker. You want it strong. 

 Meanwhile, mix cacao or cocoa powder in a mug with palm sugar and boiling water until dissolved. 

 Once almond coconut milk is heated, pour into mug and stir. When coffee is brewed add to mug and revel in your delicious, inexpensive DYI beverage! You can add more palm sugar if this is not sweet enough for you. 

 As I enjoy my cup of mocha, I will focus on the fact that even the rain from God in my life is satisfying. A little from God is an abundance and when I do not see it that way, I need to set my cup down, get in the Word, and repent. 

- Exodus 16:12
“I have heard the grumbling of the people of Israel. Say to them, ‘At twilight you shall eat meat, and in the morning you shall be filled with bread. Then you shall know that I am the LORD your God.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are for people! Spammers and robots are not allowed because they do not have souls. If you have spam links in your comment, it will be deleted.