Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Are Unicorns Easily Domesticated & Other Non-Sensical Things in the World of Plants

  Soooo...anyone dabbled in the realm of herbs lately? 'Cuz I have and let me just say, "Wow." You want to jump right into the vat of false religion and silliness, just start researching herbs. Whew, my mind was blown. 

  Recently, my husband said, "Hey, what are you going to do with your time since your only child left at home doesn't really need you?" Ow, ouch, ow-wee!  He did apologize and reword his question once he saw my protruding, quivering bottom lip but his point was that my life has growing gaps of time. His concern was that I would be bored or feel empty. I understand where he's coming from and with all the changes in my life this past year, I have lost a lot - no teaching Sunday School, no regular meeting with my younger lady friends, no church activities. Sounds sad, doesn't it? Oh yes, I wallowed. 

  Thankfully, I am now in a church plant with some of my sweet brothers and sisters that I have known for years. Once it gets going, there will be more opportunities but I am treading carefully because in the time of loss, God opened my eyes once again. He faithfully showed me that He is ALL I need. Yes, you are required to be part of a church but God is ALL you need. He is sufficient and His Word is sufficient. But, what does this have to do with herbs? At the foundation, it has everything to do with it but specifically,well...I'll move on.

  In this time of much downtime, I started reading about herbs. I LOVE plants, I LOVE gardens, and I LOVE that our Christian doctor treats my daughter's Lyme Disease with natural treatments that work. Praise God, she went from almost bed-ridden to running  several times a week and working as a waitress in 6 months. It just seemed logical to learn more about God's creation by way of herbs. I have turned myself into an experimental guinea pig with all my new-found knowledge. The problem is that there is some strange stuff out there. And when I say strange, I mean like flying on a unicorn over the rainbow strange...just out there, made-up, fairy tales. 

  Trying to find out if you can make a lotion that helps dry skin will lead you to all kinds of weird and deceptive thinking. How do people who are truly honest with themselves believe some of this stuff? And more importantly, how come God is not enough? 

  Maybe it is like unicorns. We think we need something more, something we invent so we can control it and manipulate it. I don't know. I just want to know how God made such awesome things like plants that have the ability to nourish us and even heal things like itchy bug bites. 

  How does Echinacea work? I have no clue but I know that it helped clear up a nasty infection I had (I'll spare you the details). And, chamomile, it's not just a delicious tea. It is also a natural antihistamine. Do not even get me talking about garlic! I just cannot wrap my brain around how God packs so much into little tiny seeds. 

   You want to enlighten yourself, it does not take sitting like a twisted pretzel, humming like a washing machine. Open God's Word and read about the Creator of the universe. The awesomeness of a holy God who continues to pour out blessings on a world that does not acknowledge Him, is truly beyond our ability to fully grasp. Why do we still want the unicorns?

  All the mystical blather almost discourages my curiosity...almost. The challenge to reclaim herbs as the Lord's seems to drive me on, like a friend of mine's mother who decided to reclaim the rainbow because "it was God's creation first." I do not want to come across any more forums where people have to ask if Christians should study about herbs. Of course, you can! They are not evil inherently. Just apply discernment if you research them and keep yourself rooted in Truth. If it looks like nonsense, run! If it leads you to an understanding of something God created, praise the Lord in worship of Him as a magnificent Creator! I will be if this bug spray I made with geranium oil and catnip tea works. If it does I'll post the recipe so you can as well.

*Disclaimer: the author of this blog does not believe in unicorns...at least not since 1982. Yes, she is that close-minded. Also, do not just jump into taking herbs because she thinks they are great. Read for yourself first before you swallow things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are for people! Spammers and robots are not allowed because they do not have souls. If you have spam links in your comment, it will be deleted.