Friday, November 16, 2012

The Untitled Post

  Today is blah. 
It is cold and when I get up in the morning, it is dark for at least an hour. 
Motivation to clean is just not there. 
DCS is getting more involved in the process of our pre-placement visits. 
Therapy sessions are being required before finalizing placement. 
This blog needs new posts and my brain has flat-lined.
Holidays are right around the corner..
Ugh!!!
  So, with that being said, I'll summarize what has been happening in the past week. 

  Our last weekend pre-placement visit included homemade chili, several rousing rounds of Quao card game with two  friends, dog washing, lunch at what is usually a great local place but not so good that day, store browsing for Christmas decorating ideas, cooking for Sunday, vegging out, church, scorched potato soup, and a sad good-bye. Nothing very exciting  but it was good.

  DCS has started to be more a common word in our conversations with counselors. "DCS wants..." "DCS thinks..." Does it really take an act of Congress to decide if a child that is in a group home should be placed with a family??? I guess so. We were sort of hoping to have her by her birthday which is one week away but DCS is saying that it will possibly happen four weeks from now. They are requiring several family therapy sessions and more pre-placement visits before they have the big meeting. Sigh. 

  Yes, I know my post a while back probably makes it seem like I need therapy but those were raw, unfiltered examples. In person, I do not appear to be in such turmoil...I think. Someone want to back me up on this??? Honestly, I do filter my life through Truth and trust Christ to use me to be a good mother even when I have NO clue what I am doing. God knows my heart is to bring glory to Him in my role of wife and mother and although He could have chosen a much more polished and qualified woman to be my husband's wife and my children's mother, He put me in that position. Yes, I do scorch the potato soup that I worked hours making and I make lunches for my husband that leak applesauce into the pickles and vice versa and I get frustrated and throw pillows into the air because I really want to scream. I do all that and more and yet, by the grace of God I have a marriage that has lasted 20 years and children who can love people in spite of their faults, can laugh at mistakes, and can serve others. Maybe I am not the best person to foster a child and that is precisely why I place it in His hands. If this child decides she wants to be with us then God will see us through it...or we'll get more therapy.

Now if you'll excuse me, there are some pj's calling my name...
Oh yes, I do wear one piece pajamas! Don't hate me because I'm cool. Now go snuggle up with some potato soup but don't scorch it like I did this last time.

Potato Soup
5-6 potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks (I like Yukon Gold)
2 Leeks, washed, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced or 1 Tbsp. pre-minced garlic
2 slices of bacon
2 Tbsp. flour
half pint whipping cream
milk (about 6 cups)
water*
salt 
pepper

In a big pot, boil potatoes in salted water until slightly tender. 
Drain potatoes, set aside. In the big pot, cook bacon until done and remove. Keep grease in pot and saute leeks and garlic until tender. Stir in flour then slowly stir in milk. 

Once milk is added, put in potatoes and salt and pepper to taste. 
Let simmer about 20 minutes with a lid, then add cream and simmer about 10 more minutes. If you like it thicker, you can mash some potatoes and stir them in or add instant potatoes. Serve with bacon bits and cheese! 
*Sometimes I use chicken broth to give potatoes a little more flavor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are for people! Spammers and robots are not allowed because they do not have souls. If you have spam links in your comment, it will be deleted.